Group Fitness Instructor – Level 1 and Express Level 1
To further the mission of the YMCA through leading and instructing individuals through various exercise activities and motivates in a positive way for the main goal of healthy living.
South Bend and Edison Lakes
- A degree in exercise or health related field, preferred.
- Nationally Recognized Group Fitness Certification (such as ACE, AFAA, ACSM) and/or Specialty
- Certification(s). Examples (but not limited to): Les Mills, Piloxing, Yoga, Pilates, Zumba, Cycling/Spinning.
- Nationally certified Personal Trainer, preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of group fitness instruction techniques and design of classes with demonstrated ability to lead high-level fitness classes and attract high volumes of class
- Availability to teach at least 3 classes per week.
- CPR/AED/First Aid certifications (must be completed within 90 days of hire).
- Exceptional customer service, verbal communication & motivational skills; ability to connect with class participants on a personal level.
- Understands the mission of the YMCA.
- 3-5 years of experience in group fitness instruction.
- Instructs group ex classes which are defined as being 45 minutes or longer.
- Arrive at least 10 minute prior to the start of class and stick around after class for at least 10 minutes to socialize with the class participants and ensure the room is tidy.
- Welcomes all participants in a friendly and outgoing manner.
- Leads and instructs group fitness classes safely while demonstrating proper form and providing modifications to participants, as necessary.
- Corrects ineffective movements or those which may cause injury.
- Spends time (outside of regular teaching schedule) preparing for classes and comes to each class with organized routines and proper musical accommodations.
- Changes class routines/music on a monthly basis, at a minimum.
- Connects with class participants by learning names, engaging in conversation and using communication methods (such as social media) to stay in touch.
- Start and end class on time, according to the group fitness schedule.
- Stays on top of new trends and continuously works to improve abilities as an instructor.
- Oversees the proper use of equipment and supplies and makes recommendations when equipment needs replaced or new supplies need to be purchased.
- Reads class announcements regularly and records class attendance.
- Ensures group exercise space is neat and tidy before leaving.
- Attends all mandatory staff meetings and stays up to date on mandatory certifications/trainings.
- Able to communicate to others how the YMCA supports kids, adults and families in the community.
- Minimum 90% standing and walking.
- Reaching, twisting, and turning, kneeling, bending, squatting, and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- Duties require lifting and/or moving up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus without color-blindness.
$21.14 to $31.72 and Express Instructor $15.86 to $23.79
Dental, 9% YMCA Retirement Plan Contribution (when eligible), YMCA Membership