Join our Youth Development Team for a safe, fun and exciting after school experience at the Michiana Family YMCA. We understand that parents today are working hard to provide for their families. That’s why we work with South Bend Community School Corporation to provide kids, in kindergarten through Grade 8, a safe and fun place to find nurturing care outside of school hours.
We follow the planned calendar of the South Bend schools.
We also make extended breaks easy on families, with drop-in registration for kids not enrolled in Before & After School and Day Camps for Winter and Spring Breaks.
Buses arrive at Michiana Family YMCA from South Bend schools: Hamilton, Jefferson, Kennedy, LaSalle, & Nuner. Transportation from other schools is not provided, but all kids in K-8 are welcome.
To register please stop by the YMCA or contact Maycie Wise at 574-287-9622 or at email@example.com.
Before And After School Program Objectives
- Grow Personally—build self-esteem and self-reliance
- Build Character—behave according to our Core Values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility
- Improve family and personal relationships—learn to care about, communicate with, and cooperate with family and friends
- Appreciate diversity—respect people of different ages, abilities, incomes, races, religions, cultures, and beliefs
- Develop specific skills—acquire new knowledge and ways to grow in spirit, mind, and body.
- Have fun—enjoy life
Activities Offered In The Before And After School Setting
- Snack—a light snack is offered in the afternoon
- Homework Support—Our Before and After School Program is a recreation-based program that compliments school day. We recognize the need to support parents and their desire for children to have time to work on their homework. An educational alternative will be offered for children who do not want or need to work on their homework.
- Group Activities—Children in Before and After School are given the opportunity to participate in a group activity each day. We provide both small and large group activities.
- Child Choice—School-age children must be given the opportunity to choose or be a part of the planning of the daily program activities. We work with your children to plan several meaningful activities that the children can choose to participate in. Children always have the right to pass (everyday.)
- Free Choice—School-age children need an opportunity to “hang-out.” This can be accomplished during outside time and through interest centers.
The Eight YMCA Before And After School Core Content Areas
- Arts and Humanities
- Character Development
- Health, Wellness, and Fitness
- Homework Support
- Science and Technology
- Service Learning
- Social Competence and Conflict Resolution
- Before & After School Care Handbook Coming Soon